A pint (4 cups) of blood ...

|
I was at the Aliso Viejo Library and saw a “Red Cross” van pull in as I was parking. I have never given blood before but I was curious enough to inquire. The “Neighborhood Cup” had sponsored a “Blood Drive” at the community room right beside it. So, before I started my work at the library, I stopped by to ask questions. I wanted to know what I should expect to feel after giving blood. In the few minutes I met with one of the volunteers, I learned that we only have the equivalent of one day’s blood supply for the country's needs. I have yet to figure out what that means and how many blood units are optimal reserves for the 50 states. But for perspective, California has 3 days supply. That seemed critically low to me and so I returned at the end of the day to give 4 cups of blood – the first time ever. There was no dizziness or anything that was out of the ordinary afterwards.

This blog is about justice – it’s about our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. And of all the human rights that we are entitled to, there is none that is more important than our right to life. When you give blood, you are really giving a gift of life.

I asked to be sent a packet to organize a blood drive and will keep our readers apprised as it develops. In the meantime, if you haven’t donated blood lately, or for that matter ever before, I urge you to do so. Log on to the Red Cross website and find a convenient location to make that life giving donation. You’ll never know whose life you save.