Deadbeat Dad

|
There was an article in the Washington Times recently about “deadbeat dads” that caught my attention. It reported on a new reality television show called “Deadbeat Dads” – a show where a television crew traveled the country in search of a TV ambush. They prey on fathers who are on the deadbeat dad registry and catch them on film presumably in very uncomfortable situations. I personally haven’t seen the show and have no idea what types of people (deadbeats) are featured. However, my experience gives me a unique perspective on this issue and was actually given credence by the article. Not all fathers who are unable to pay the child support obligations are trying to evade their responsibilities. The article spoke of a father who was hospitalized for malnutrition and another who lives in a truck.

Laws that are heavy-handed, lopsided and antiquated are mostly to blame for this problem. Politicians are quick to jump the bandwagon of deadbeat dad bashing as it is perceived to be a surefire way to enhance their public image. So, they create laws that unintentionally cause the opposite effect. I am one such example. After a confluence of events, I lost my income and was unable to continue paying my child support payments of $1400.0 per month (Current Balance is $36,258 as of 4/1/09). As a result, the government suspended both my CA Department of Real Estate License and my CA Driver’s License – in effect taking away my livelihood and the means by which I can go to work.

To correct this, two things must be done. First, I must fight my ex-wife in court. Second, I must sue the government and question the constitutionality of the laws that are in place. Both tasks are difficult undertakings complicated by many issues. To fight legislators, you must be ready for an expensive and torturous fight – a situation that I am averse to. The action against my wife amounts to dragging her back to court and having the order to pay child support modified.

Re-opening the divorce case was something I was not anxious to do. My ex-wife had a double mastectomy a few months ago and I was concerned that doing so would give my children the impression that I was attacking her while she as going through that horrendous ordeal. I was waiting for the right time to deal with that situation. Fortunately, though, she seems to have recovered and I only hope that she can now take me on in court.

VIEW DRE RECORD 
DRE EXPLANATION OF FC 17520 
READ CHILD SUPPORT STATEMENT 
VIEW TEMP DRIV LICENSE SUSP 
READ WASHINGTON TIMES ARTICLE