Marathon or bust!

|
I showed up at my favorite trail this morning only to discover that it was closed to runners because of the torrential rains we recently experienced. It was a beautiful morning – not too hot and not too cold. I was trying to benchmark my fitness to see how realistic my plan of training for a marathon is. I had to run an alternate route mostly on pavement. It turns out, I am way ahead of my schedule as I was able to do my first 4-Mile run this morning without drama and a lot more to spare. There was a pause on my running for several months because I didn’t have a place to stretch and shower. All that changed after I became a member of the 24 Hours – Agassi Sport Center recently.
 
My self-image is one of a “Trail Runner”. It is one of the few activities that can take me completely away from all of life’s cares. I can put on my shoes and running gear and get lost in nature and be absorbed by meandering thoughts about anything under the sun. Apart from great experiences with mother nature – the smells, the sights and sounds, the trails have also been the place where I have made great friendships. There is a fraternity among runners that is unique and colored by shared physical hardship measured by miles. When passing a runner you know, greetings are usually very short -“How many miles are you doing today?” Because of the closing speed, the few seconds is just enough to shout back the mileage. “I’m doing 8 miles today.” But during long runs in preparation for a marathon it isn’t uncommon for another runner to turn around and run beside you just to make sure you get back all right. Many marathon-training programs require that you run 24 miles three weeks before your event. The biggest challenge is usually staying hydrated; another runner can spot early signs of dehydration (opaque and reddish skin) and could make sure you are drinking water.
 
The next year will bring it’s share of litigation related stress, so I have decided to run the “San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon” the third time this end of May 2009. This is a fun event where the course is lined by bands at every mile performing for your muscle aching amusement. The endorphins and dopamine that flushes through the body during physical exertion is nature’s pain reliever. Much of which will be a welcome partner in my fight. It usually takes 16 weeks to train for the full 26.2 Miles. I was so anxious to get started that I am beginning my training right away – during winter - giving me 6 months.
 
By this time, I am already emotionally hardened that there is nothing that could go wrong that I could not handle. That explains why adding a marathon to the mix just adds to the variety. After experiencing all that I have, I now feel psychologically bulletproof that the fight, though physically strenuous, will be an emotional cakewalk. I am impassioned by my cause and driven by the changes that is surely coming. In a way, my circumstances laud what Friedrich Nietzsche once said, “That which does not break me make me stronger”.
 
Click to view Robert's Training Pictures 
Click to view the Rock and Roll website