A Day of Infamy ...

|
"December 7, 1941 - a day that will live in infamy", were the exact words immortalized by FDR in describing the “Attack on Pearl Harbor”. Exactly 66 years later, (December 7, 2007) I had my own personal day of infamy. It was raining that day and was very cold. That afternoon, the Sheriff’s Department came by to make sure that the “Eviction Order” decreed by the court and initiated by my brother was carried out. All I took with me was what I can carry - my Trek Mountain Bike and backpack full of clothes. The Sheriff’s Deputy was very forceful and stood by the garage to make sure that I left.
 
I felt the rain hit my light raincoat as I pedaled on my bike to leave the gated community I used to live at. All possible accommodations were out of the city and so I had to find shelter fast. That evening, the first night of my homelessness, I took refuge in a "Women’s Restroom", which I chose because it seemed a little cleaner. It was freezing cold that evening because the restroom was made mostly of concrete. I tried keeping my chest off the concrete floor to avoid catching a cold and the only thing I had was a lumpy backpack that would not flatten out. I was balancing my torso on little mound of clothing. Several times I stood up to pace around the restroom to try to get my blood circulating and to stay warm. The noise the rain made was something I will never forget – it was a rumbling, unceasing sound that kept me awake all night.
 
I returned to the house a few days later and had an informal arrangement that allowed me to live in the garage for two months. I had already filed my “Complaint” against my brother and the other Defendants in another court and agreed not to serve it right away. So, for two months I sat on my complaint until I served it in February of 2009. On The 27th of February 2009, the Sheriff’s Department evicted me again. This time, my neighbor across the street, Ty, drove me to a motel and paid for the evening’s stay.
 
I took pictures of the restroom yesterday. I couldn’t enter the Women’s Restroom for obvious reasons so the pictures are of the Men’s Room. But it shows the exact layout of the restroom.
 
Click to view pictures of the Restroom