Mo Tales, El Diablo

|
Mo's mother and I were sitting under a very old and very tall "Mango Tree" fending off some very angry fire ants at a “Pick it Yourself Farm” when the phone rang. She answered the phone, motioned that she needed to take the call and turned away. “You only call me when you need something, so let’s have it. What do you want, Mo?”
 
I heard the muffled and somewhat screaming voice coming from her cell phone but could not understand anything until she replied – “See, you only call me when you need money or when you are having paranoid attacks. How many times do I have to tell you never buy medication from establishments you cannot actually visit? You bought your medication from the internet and a company called what? The Pharmacia del Luna?" And when you drank the medicine, what happened? (panicked sound from the phone) See, the medication you were taking was supposed to calm the voices that you were hearing in your head. Before, the voices where speaking in English and now it’s talking to you in Spanish? And the voice comes from a charming and a very persuasive man named “El Diablo?”
 
She looked to me and asked, “who is this man Mr. Diablo? Is he in a Rock Band?” “No, not really. That’s the Devil’s name in Spanish”, I said. Realizing what she was dealing with, she dropped the phone. Uh, oh, she said. “He’s having a conversation with the Devil himself? Whatever am I to do? What if this Mr. Diablo possesses him?”
 
“We have to cut this trip short”, she said. “What are you going to do, go see Mo?”, I asked. “Are you crazy? You already heard me say that he may be possessed by the Devil and you want me to see him? No, I’m going home to make sure my house is locked up just in case he decides he wants to introduce me to Mr. Diablo. Come on let’s go!”
 
The hour trip back to her home was eerily quiet, absent the usual tales that Mo’s mother usually tells me. It was so quiet and full of nervous tension that she jumped out of her seat when I honked my horn at another car trying to cut me off. “What are you trying to do to me? Are you trying to kill me?, she screamed.
 
Her nerves were already jangled up thinking that her son was preparing an early Halloween surprise for her. I knew that she was already hungry because we didn’t have anything to eat the whole time I was with her. When I finally dropped her off, there was a look on her face that told me she was about to get the fright of her life.