First Hearing for '09

|
Today was the first day that I appeared in court for 2009. I had a Case Management Conference (CMC) on the matter of Lacambra vs America’s Best Inn. There was actually an attorney substitution last week. The new counsel, Robert Connelly, appeared in court on behalf of the Defendants - America's Best Inn and SK Paul. The judge thought that the case was simple enough that he gave us a trial date for July 13, 2009. He also made certain musings about the Defendant having filed papers in Bankruptcy Court, which I am currently researching to figure out what is going on. There were no papers served on me just yet regarding Bankruptcy Protection. I was actually looking for a reason to file this case in Federal Court and this may have given me good cause. The Defendant (SK Paul) turns out to be a resident of Michigan, making the US Court (Federal Jurisdiction) of proper venue. It will also make it easier for me to get to his assets if and when I prevail in court. It is difficult to see at this stage what the Defendant is trying to accomplish. One possible reason for this turn of events is that he is taking this defensive actions to protect his assets from judgment liens. That makes this case the more interesting, requiring some Sherlock Holmes detective work to uncover hidden assets.