Trial Date Set ...

|

I finally got a “Notice of Trial” for Lacambra vs. First Team Realty et al. The Trial has been set for November 17, 2008. I didn’t really need that much time to prepare because my case is what lawyers refer to as a ”Prima Facie Case” (correctly pronounced Preema Fa-che), a Latin phrase meaning “at first look” or in simple-speak it means it’s “an open and shut case”. In other words, the facts are so obvious and plain that a case can be proven with ease. One example is a Tenancy-Landlord dispute where the Plaintiff needs to show the existence of a tenancy relationship. One document that can prove a prima facie case is the signed rental agreement.

From here on out, producing the actual exhibits for trial will be my priority for this case. I am actually thinking of going completely digital on this. I can see how effective such an approach can be in terms of telling a story to a jury. Whenever I go to court I always see attorneys lugging boxes and boxes and a multitude of illustration paper to present their case in court. It’s easy to tell those who have a trial date apart from those who just have a regular hearing.

My Apple G4 12-inch laptop is the most amazing productivity tool that I have ever had. It’s my baby. In terms of technology life span, my G4 is considered a dinosaur because it is already 4 years old. But it still keeps on doing what it does really well and I am very very happy with it.

Starting next week, I’ll begin experimenting on methods and processes so I can digitize my “practice”. That’s a funny word for me to use because all my life I’ve considered myself an Entrepreneur. For a long time I existed on the opposite side of the spectrum, away from the convoluted world of a legal professional. But early on I told myself that –“I don’t want a job. I don’t even want a career. What I really want is a way of life”. It seems obvious to me now that this life is choosing me. At any given moment it has the unique capacity of handing my ass to me - resoundingly. You’ve got to love it ….