A Chance Meeting ...

|
The most interesting part of my homeless lifestyle is the many serendipitous moments – some welcome and some I really can do without. Last night, I found myself sleeping on a bench outside a local restaurant called “Mangia Bene” in Laguna Niguel CA. I chose that spot because it was the only establishment in that particular strip mall that is dark after hours. It is also a distance away from the main street affording me some quiet sleep.

It was a cold night and all I could think of was, “When is it going to be daybreak?” I avoid walking around the city when it’s dark because it arouses suspicion. However, I wanted to start walking around to make myself warm. I know the temperatures got pretty low because the cold went right through my Merrell hiking shoes. I was still half asleep when I was roused from my sleep by the sound of an SUV backing up to within a few feet from where I was sleeping. There were two things that immediately came to mind. First, the guy was delivering something before business hours. Second, he was the restaurant owner who was just about to kick me out. I waited a few seconds but nobody came out of the SUV. Every time something out of the ordinary happens, I usually start searching for my camera. As soon as the flash went off, the gentleman in the SUV stepped out. It was a few minutes before 600AM and he was there to set up the sound system for a band who will entertain a “Men’s Christian Fellowship” who meets at the restaurant every month.

Within moments of the doors opening, I was part of a road crew setting up the sound system before a concert. There is no way of knowing what my day will be like from day to day. Just before I met Bob, I was dreaming of something hot and filling for the belly. It worked out funny that way. Before the morning was over, I was being entertained by a band, I was drinking hot coffee and having a hearty breakfast. I also heard an interesting message from the Guest Pastor Peter-Jon Courson.

Hallelujah!