Generosity of spirit ...

|

I made some interesting friends these last few days.

I met Ray at a “Business Opportunity” meeting some months back but did not realize that we had already crossed paths until we had a chance to talk more in depth about a week ago. We soon discovered a number of things that we had in common. First, that we were both from the same old country – the Philippines. Second, that we were at some level engaged in originating loans in the mortgage industry before the collapse. Third, that we were both residents of Laguna Niguel CA. And fourth, that we are now both homeless and living in a car.

He’s been out on the streets and living in a car longer than I have and immediately took me under his wings. Our conversations were a rarified exchange on how to cope with the demoralizing effects of a financial debacle and the resultant side effects including homelessness and sometimes in extreme cases psychosis. The first thing he said was, “ accept your situation and take care of your needs.” Knowing my predicament, he took me to the Ralph’s Supermarket and spent, from his food stamps - now a debit card - the amount of $12.50 for food essentials. Before we parted company that evening, he even gassed me up for $9.00. I can’t say how flabbergasted I was of the incredibly generous gesture when you consider this was coming from another person just as homeless and presumably as cash poor as I.

A few days before, a gentleman named Neil, an Aussie who owns a Pizza Place close to where I used to live, showed me the meaning of "Generosity from Down Under". I used to frequent his restaurant when I was training heavily and used to have pizza lunches there after hard mountain bike work-outs. I explained to him my situation and without hesitating, he graciously offered me meals for three days. The first two days he served me with a huge bowl (I mean huge bowls) of spaghetti with meatballs, garden salad, garlic bread and iced tea. The third day he made me an extra-large pizza with cheese and pepperoni that I ate for two days. When I left the third day, he said, “if you get in trouble, come back and I’ll help you”. He didn’t even tally up a check.

I grew up Catholic and went to parochial schools from the first grade up until high school. I should have been a loyal faithful but my experiences and the recent church expose resulting in the prosecution of pedophiles left me very skeptical about the church. But based on our discussions, I acted on my friend Ray’s suggestion that I reach out to churches. He said it was essential not so much for procuring my needs but to prop up my self-esteem. I’m still in good spirits considering my situation, and so for the sheer need, I went to Saint Timothy’s Church this afternoon, a church I had gone to hear mass many years ago. Without an ounce of hesitation whatsoever, Diane the lady at the front office gave me a $10 check card for Wendy’s and a $25 gas card from Shell.

I had been having transmission problems with the ‘99 Chrysler 300M since the moment my friend Jefferson lent it to me. He did so unconditionally and even gave me the pink slip. It had been an invaluable work horse that has admirably served as my sleeping quarters, my storage place and music room. Knowing that I had the gas to get me through the duration of the trip, I went to the Mission Viejo Transmission, the company that, a couple of years ago, repaired the car. I discovered an old invoice in the glove box and was hopeful an extended warranty might be in place. On the way up, I turned into the Shepard of the Hills Church in Mission Viejo that was just off the freeway. There, I was handed $15 in singles and five packed lunches in brown bags. After thanking them, I proceeded to the transmission shop. A short while later, Kevin, the owner of the shop, told me that I needed transmission fluid, oil and water. In laughter, he emphasized that the water was free. I explained to him that I only had $15 but was more than willing to give him an IOU. He filled up the transmission case, the radiator and sent me away with an extra quart of oil. “Sorry to take the $15.00 from you", he said. I was actually grateful that was all that he charged me. Indeed, it was a bargain. Up until that point I was worried about not being able to leave a stoplight because the transmission was skipping gears.

Generosity of spirit - and I am tremendously grateful.