A Q&A Session - January 2012

|
Where do you sleep these days?

Currently, I still live on the streets. I found a public place with roof to protect me from the elements. Until I can figure out a way to make a living in the law, my situation is not going to change. I’ve concluded that if I were to finish all these cases - my fights - I will have to figure out a way to generate income in the a field that is complimentary to the area of the law. Of course, that’s difficult to do without the credentials from the Bar Association or other institutions that confer such.

I have a sleeping bag that is certified up to zero degrees and it has served me well for over 3 years. Fortunately, the weather in Southern California is almost perfect year-round and the winters are mild. That and the precautions I take when sleeping under the stars have prevented illnesses. I’ve discovered that wrapping my head with blankets as opposed to keeping it inside the sleeping bag works best. I wrap a fleece sweater around my head. Then, I wrap two more layers of mini-blankets, almost like a mummy. So far, I’ve only caught a cold three times since my indigence. I think the fresh air also has something to do with it.

How do you make a living?

The best way to explain that is to say that I have a job but not an income. This month I’ve only been able to raise $90 in cash. In addition, there are a couple of food preparers that I have been able to approach for free food in the evenings - left overs that they usually donate. One establishment puts aside a serving of food for me almost every evening. At another restaurant, a manager invites me over for free meals at their restaurant frequently. The names shall remain anonymous for obvious reasons.

How many alcoholic beverages did you drink last year?

I had exactly 3 bottles of Coors Light and a glass of wine.

Many of the places around town were closed this last Thanksgiving Day. I had the idea that perhaps Panda Panda, the Chinese restaurant in the middle of town would be open. It turned out to be closed as well. But on my way over, I ran into Karen at the parking lot as she was driving around. She’s that lady I helped fight an eviction action several months ago. She gave me a ride and we ended up at Starbucks at the other side of town. I was already on my second coffee but was still falling asleep. I was passing out on one of their couches. Out of the blue she asked if she can make me dinner - a Thanksgiving Dinner with turkey, yams, corn, vegetables and greens. It was a delicious meal that she served with a glass of red wine.

The next day, I ran into an acquaintance - Solomon. I was coming back from one of those walks I usually take and I ran into him at a Radio Shack Store in Aliso Viejo. I haven’t seen him in months and had much to talk about. We ended up at a pizza place around the corner where we both had a beer each. He sent me off with a personal size pizza and he also made a $30 contribution to the cause.

On Christmas Eve, I spent a few hours at the diner of the Chevron gas station up the road. The library and many other establishments I frequented were closed. Fortunately, they were open 24 Hours. The attendant, whom I have known for many years, offered me two bottles of Coors Light. He told me that one of the six-packs fell on the ground and shattered all but the two he gave me.

How much coffee do you drink in a day?
I started getting my coffee from the Chevron Station up the road after I was banned from The Neighborhood Cup. They have a machine that dispenses fresh brewed coffee. It’s tucked away on the other side of their kiosk. I don’t get the ones from the pump-action dispensers. I’ve noticed that I need about 50 ounces of regular-strength coffee a day. They have different kinds of brewed coffee - from French Toast, Colombian to the High Octane hair standing java that can wake up a person that is comatose. I didn’t know I drink this much until I started using their cups that says 20 ounces. I need 2.5 cups through-out the day to keep the faculties working at optimum.

Where do you go for showers and hygiene needs?
My one-year membership for 24 Hour Fitness that was donated by Shagufta, a Muslim friend of mine, expired last November. Another friend, Felix, a disbarred attorney who went to Boalt School of Law - UC Berkeley, heard about it and added me to his membership for $20 per month, which he offered to pay in return for future website and document preparation work. He’s going to try to get his license back and have started writing a number of legislators. That's really the only place in town where I can take showers. I haven't used their facilities for exercising, however. I'm a runner and prefer to do that and plyometrics whenever I have a chance.

Laundry is another part of that caboodle of things that need to be done when living on the streets. Just recently, Felix introduced me to another laundromat in Laguna Niguel. Apparently, it has been there for years but somehow it escaped me as I have been going to other places that are further out from where I generally live.

What is next on the R|J agenda?
This February, we will begin rebuilding all the files and attorney product work that got lost the last few months. We’ve started creating systems to help us with the discovery and  litigation work. Some of these are attempts at replicating the ones I had in my laptop that got stolen. One of the things that we are excited about is a “Litigator’s Toolkit” that we’ve started developing to assist with the work output. We think it might be of great use to other people, as well. So, we’ll put it through real-life situations and tweak it as we go along. The end product, if the development succeeds will be posted on our website for free. It may be useful for people in foreclosure, eviction or in deep financial difficulties - people who need an attorney but could not afford one.

What that means is that we expect to see more of the courts in the next 12 months.