Valentine's Special: Rich & Nina (February 2011)

|
It came in the mail just a few days before the 14th of the month. It was in a red velvet envelope with gold letters that said “This is 4 Rich”. Inside was a meticulously prepared invitation for a special Valentine’s Show at the “Oh Baby Club”. He was to do a special 10 song set to get the patrons in the mood for that special day.

Valentine’s Day arrived with little fanfare even with all the excitement I was feeling the last few days leading up to it. I picked up my date, Bellina, right after sunset as we had agreed. We were to spend the early part of the evening at the club and then have dinner at her place where she said she will treat me to a seven-course meal prepared in the stylings of her old country - Italia.

The place was jam-packed when we arrived. Life was never really better for me. I had in my arms the most beautiful woman that I have ever known.

DJ RICH: Happy Valentine’s y’all !! (CROWD: YEAAH!!) I have a set here to get you lovers in the mood for this special day. Let me ask you this. Y’all know ma man Barry White? That guy with the really low voice that if he was talking to you close enough it could knock the wind out of you Barry White? (CROWD: YEAHH !!) We’ll ma man has a little tune he put together in the studios in the 70’s that has made many ladies smile. So, play along with me here ladies. I wanna see all your pearly whites. I want y’all to look at me and smile. (CROWD: YEAHH) That’s what I like. Ain’t nothing prettier than a woman smilin’ at his man. Now that you got me going and since I can see all your pearly whites shinin’ at me all pretty, I might as well give you the man himself. Mr. Barry White ...
CLICK TO HEAR SONG

DJ RICH: You know relationships ain’t always good, right? (CROWD: YEAHHH) And when you love someone, everything get out of whack. I got in a fight with my baby one time ‘coz she thought I was buying way too many chicken at Kaye’s Chicken Emporium. I says, Baby ain’t nothin’ healthier than flamebroiled except she thought I had my eye on another bird - one of them women behind the counter. You can’t blame her ‘coz I was having chicken for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I say’s Baby I wanna be healthy and ain’t nothin’ healthier for me than flame-broiled bird. She didn’t believe me so we had a cooling off. That meant, I couldn’t go there anymore. My Baby wouldn’t talk to me neither. I had to learn to cook chicken in the oven and while this sad time of my life was happening, I had a song for all them rainy days and it sounded like this.
CLICK TO HEAR SONG

DJ Rich: Y’all believe in the magic of a kiss? (CROWD: YEAHHH) My baby got me dialed in, you know. Aint nothin’ about me she can’t heal with her special kiss. One time I was fixing my car and I don’t know how this happened but my fingers got rolled over by my car. Don’t ask me how and what my fingers were doing. It got rolled over by them real fat desert tires. So I started running in the house screaming in pain and my baby took my hand and she kissed it. She told me to count 1 to 10. I did and by the time I got to 10 it was gone. My fingers were still the size of a potato but the pain had gone. I looked in her eye and then she kissed me again. That was all I needed and I was happy as a clam. Guess what I call that kiss ladies? (CROWD:YEAHH) Well, here’s my next performer and she’ll tell you all about it.
CLICK TO HEAR SONG

DJ RICH: OK. Any of you ladies ever met a bullfighter? (CROWD: YEAAHH) One summer I went travelling with my college buddies and drove a Volkswagen Bug all the way to South America. We were in this city having a cold drink and we saw this sign that said, "BULLFIGHTING LESSONS." Since it was the only thing we could read in the whole city, we all went to check it out. Next thing I know, I’m in a bullfighting ring looking like a serious bullfighter - with a Mickey Mouse hat and everything. I was thinking there was going to be big bad bull behind the door. Then comes a thin rinky-dink looking bull. Well, it turns out the bull wasn’t thin at all. It was fit and when that thing took off after me I was frozen and at awe at the same time. He was too quick for me to even move. The next thing I know my face was on a wall and I was eating paint. I got nailed to the wooden planks real bad. When I called my baby, half my face wouldn’t move she thought I was a prank caller. Well, here’s what I really should have done. Have a listen.
CLICK TO HEAR SONG

DJ RICH: Love is great, ain’t it, people? (CROWD:YEAH) There were times in my life when I didn’t even have two pennies to rub together and all I had was my baby. Have you ever felt that before fellas? (CROWD: YEAH) And you wouldn’t tell her that you ain’t got nothin’ to spend on her. But it’s fine with her so long as you treat her just right and it ain’t much to make her happy. One time I just wanted to have a nice dinner with her and I didn’t have any money so I called on my network. I got ma man from the gas station to donate a 32 oz. cup of soda and a couple of bananas. I had ma man from the coffee shop to donate some Cappucino and desert. My friend from the bakery gave me some day-old bread. Then, I went to the grocery and got two $0.21 packets of noodles, two cans of tuna and some eggs that I whipped up before she got there. I placed it all in the nicest China I had. I had some Jack Daniels left over from Christmas and mixed it up with some soda and voila. Oh, and the music? Well here’s what I played - four songs and tell me my baby didn’t fall in love.
CLICK HERE TO HEAR SONG
CLICK HERE TO HEAR SONG
CLICK HERE TO HEAR SONG
CLICK HERE TO HEAR SONG

DJ RICH: What’s the secret of love, people? (CROWD: YEAAHH). How come some people can spend a lifetime together and some can’t even stay in one place for more than a few minutes? It’s two words. Commitment and Compromise. There’s a couple that lives next door from me, John and Rita, and they’ve been together for more than 50 years. I asked Rita what the secret is. And she said that they talk a lot about everythin’ and they never let a problem fester. They solve misunderstandings before they put their heads on their pillows at night. So I asked John what the secret is and he smiled at me. Well son, he said, it’s simple. I’m well trained. It made me smile coz I know exactly what he was talking about. So fellas, if you want to have a good life, you gotta keep yo lady happy. I’ma talk to my Baby ‘coz apparently, she needs to give me some real good trainin’. So for you love birds out there, I have saved the best for last. I’m playin’ these two songs back to back and wish you all a Happy Valentines . Baby this is for you.
CLICK HERE TO HEAR SONG
CLICK HERE TO HEAR SONG

That pretty much set the mood for my evening with Bellina. It was one of the best evenings I've ever had. Thanks to Rich, the music made her feel more than a little of that Amore!