A Night To Remember

|
Milestones just keep on being made. Last night a number of books I've accumulated, my sleeping bag and other beddings got stolen from my hiding place – the very location that have served my storage needs for months. I guess that is the risk I take for posting something incendiary on the RJ blog. Let's hope the person who took it is also a homeless person. Then, it wouldn't be so bad.

I approached the janitorial crew (Esmeralda and her son) at the library to see if they noticed anyone suspicious taking some of my belongings that I had stashed at the side of the building. They couldn't positively identify anyone but there were other people who were milling around the spot, they said. Before they departed, they left me with two blankets that helped me stay just warm enough to avoid hypothermia.

On the off-chance that they could make an accommodation just for the evening, I asked the owner of the Neighborhood Cup, Steve, if he can leave the door to the foyer of the building unlocked. I wanted to make sure I can get out of the cold if it got a little too chilly. He said that it wasn't his building and that he couldn't. I understood the liabilities that might fall in his lap if anything happened to the building. It might even violate the lease. But, I had to try.

Temperatures dipped  below 40 degrees last night. I tripled up on the clothing and it kept me warm enough that I didn't shiver even once. The only annoyance was that I didn't get enough sleep and despite my fourth cup of coffee today, I couldn't seem to keep myself awake.

The excitement continues ...