A NEW YEAR'S NOTE

|
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

What an amazing year 2010 turned out to be. Now, it's back to work – back to the mission of reforming the American legal system. Daunting work requires the right emotional frame. Too much anger and you become counter-productive. Too much comfort and nothing gets done. So, you need just the right balance between comfort and controlled anger to be able to get important things done; in this case vanquish powerful and well-financed opponents in court.

The two month vacation at Desiree's ended on the 28th of December. By the time I left for the streets, at around 530AM, I wasn't sure whether I was ready for the new round of battles. But in all, I emerged refreshed and full of optimism for the future. The first night out was exactly what I expected – full of thoughts, full of nagging voices questioning my devotion to my cause. Fortunately, all that has now quieted down after three days outdoors. There's a saying that goes, “ … fatigue makes cowards of us all.” That's probably true in most situations. But it gets infinitely more contentious if you add a little bit of cold or even wet weather in the mix. There were public service announcements around Southern California warning of freezing weather around the holiday season. I can assure you, it gets cold. But it steels my mind and my heart. The very notion of exposing the abuses of the Superior Court of the State of California, the Sheriff's Department, the FBI and other agencies is enough to make a person freeze in his tracks. So what do I do? I embrace the frigid cement where I sleep to get my blood temperature just right – cold as ice.

My preference for sleeping out will certainly be an important point that my opposition will try to capitalize on during trial. They will try to tell the jury that I am homeless because I chose that for myself. They are likely to point to the fact that I use it to regulate my emotions to improve my chances of winning in court. I just hope they are a little smarter than that because doubtless they are now discovering they are getting deeper and deeper in a trap. In the eternal words of the American band Eagles who sang the virtues of some hotel in California “ … you can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave.”

Despite what appears, there are distinct advantages to sleeping outdoors. It hardens me physically and emotionally. And whether I like it or not, I have to be up by 5:30AM, forcing me to be productive. There are no snooze buttons. I sleep in a public space requiring that I stash my bedding before everyone starts showing up. I'm usually at the Neighborhood Cup when they open at 6AM where I watch CNBC to get a pulse for what is happening in the world. I find financial news particularly useful for that. It gets me the headlines without the gossipy nonsense that we get from many news outlets. Around 8AM, right after breakfast and my first cup of coffee, my writing begins – legal briefs, legal research, the blogs and my daily journal entries.

January will require stepped up volume of production than in months past. The task of rebuilding the papers and attorney product that was stolen along with my Mac G4 will now commence. So, 2011 starts exactly where we left off – fighting some powerful establishments who are supposed to be serving the people and have lost their way. In my legal war chest is the amount of $85.13. Sounds like great fun.