Road House

|
The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines the word “Road House” as “an inn or tavern usually outside city limits providing liquor and usually meals, dancing and gambling.” The word was reportedly first used in 1857. Since the year is now 2008, I offer a new definition that is more appropriate for our times and economic conditions. “Road House: an automobile, truck or any land based vehicle that is used as a dwelling.” Example: “Robert is road housing in his ’99 Chrysler 300M.”

On the right of this blog is a counter that shows how many days I have been living in my car. There are two reasons why I added that feature. At some point, any number of my cases will eventually go to trial. In the hands of the jury will be the vexing question, “How should I award Robert for all the appalling things that were perpetrated on him?” I pondered that myself and found it very difficult to answer, thus explaining why none of my complaints ask for any amount, instead deferring the decision to the jury. During closing arguments I will try to frame that question by asking the jury a hypothetical question. “If you were approached by someone who offered you a job to be a depraved, hungry and suffering homeless person 24 hours a day for one month, how would you like to be compensated? And if you find that experience atrocious, what would you do to prevent that from happening again - to you or anyone else?" Then, I would ask them to look at my counter and consider how many weeks, months or years I’ve been doing it for, all because of the malicious actions of the Defendants.

The second reason I created a day counter is to make sure I remain furious. Somehow, it is much easier to go through my struggles while in a state of anger. One of my favorite Track & Field coaches, Pat Tyson, once said, “Dwell on the positive but have controlled passionate anger.” Of course, he said that in the context of competitive running but that quote applies well to my situation. The day counter shows the length of time it has taken for me to get my life back, if at all. I am outraged by the lack of a simple way to address legal disputes that I wonder why people aren’t yelling at the top of their lungs demanding change. 

Many of the situations discussed on my blog are things that are experienced by ordinary, decent and hardworking individuals across this country everyday. Because of economic, emotional and/or other reasons, most are not disposed to filing an expensive lawsuit. Instead, they take a more practical alternative and accept the fact that institutions and laws tasked to protect them are simply inadequate. I wish to give them a voice – a loud booming voice – one that will reverberate all the way to the doorsteps of our nation’s leaders.