Rich & Nina (14th October 2008)

|
I met Rich at a local coffee shop one evening. It was 9PM when I arrived and saw him feverishly writing something on a notebook. “There you are”, he said. "I’ve been waiting for you. Before we get our coffee, there is something I am drafting that I want you to read. I’m preparing the essential documents required so that if my Nina and I finally decide to tie the knot we have a clear understanding of what to expect. At this point I don’t think Nina even knows that we’re getting married yet. I’m not even sure that she wants to. But, nevertheless, I could never be too prepared. Here read this. It is called the “Pre-Up Agreement” and let me know what you think". “Don’t you mean the Prenup?", I asked. "No", he replied, "I decided to call this document of my affection for Nina the “Pre-Up" so that the very first day that she marries me, she’s already up in the world. I want her to think that she married up and not down". The document said:

FIRST DRAFT
(Pre-uptial Agreement)

Whereas, it is my desire and expressed wishes to give to my beautiful, bright and always fresh smelling Nina the following possessions and things upon the moment she is witnessed to have said “I do” to me in front of witnesses and a civil or ecclesiastic official legally vested with the power to enjoin us in matrimony. The following possessions will include but will not be limited to:
My house, which includes the land and other improvements, less all the encumbrances at the time of the marriage. All loans and obligations will be retained by myself, Rich. Holes on the roof that have recently been discovered as a result of the rains last week shall be repaired by the time of the execution of this instrument.
My car, which is temperamental on very cold mornings, will be registered and insured in accordance with the laws of the State of California by the time of the marriage ceremony. It shall also be tuned-up to perfect running specifications by a qualified mechanic of the aforementioned automobile manufacturer. Furthermore, the car will be fitted with brand spanking new tires all around replacing the old bald ones.
         My boat, which will be retrofitted with new sails that work with the wind and not against, shall also encompass this agreement. In her honor the boat currently named “Richer than You” will be re-christened “4 Richer or 4 Poorer”, to commemorate the special day of our marriage and to show my love for her.

“So, do you think her lawyer will let her sign this? It should be self-explanatory”, he queried. “Forget the lawyer”, I said, “How about Nina herself? This agreement needs more work. In the first place, you might scare her away with this. A roof that resembles Swiss cheese, a car that has a problem starting in the morning and a boat we are not sure can even float? Dude, what came over you?” With a twinkle in his eyes he said, “Love - the greatest that any man’s heart could have ever conceived, that’s what has come over me”. My life will never be complete without my Nina right by my side”.

I sat there drinking my hot java, sure that it will keep me up the whole night – a long night to ponder what I have just heard. Those words from Rich were inspiring yet prophetic of some heroic uphill struggle. I wonder if the “Pre-up Agreement” was some sort of advanced apology for an atrocious uphill slog that they were to embark in their life together. That is something for the future to unfold. But, that also places me in the best seat in the house. I’ll be watching this whole thing in the first row and learning, perhaps, what love should be all about.