Moments of Library Zen

|
I knew it was just a matter of time before the expert housekeeping training I received from my mother would come to great use. One of the first jobs I had when I first arrived in the states was as a hotel houseman. In those days, my mother was the “Director of Housekeeping” for what used to be called “Ben Brown’s Aliso Creek Inn” a small boutique resort in South Laguna that had an interesting golf course laid out in the middle of the canyons. The property was recently acquired by Montage Resorts and renamed Aliso Creek Inn to add to a portfolio of premium hotel properties.

Because of the many hours I spend at the Aliso Viejo Library, I befriended the custodian of the building. Last week, she found herself cleaning the library alone because her partner went on vacation. I didn’t miss the opportunity to offer her my expert assistance. So for about a week, I spent at least a couple of hours at night cleaning the library with her.

Janitorial work is not a particularly fulfilling profession. It’s a job that pays the bills and a stepping-stone for something else. Unless, off course, you own the business and that makes you an entrepreneur and a beneficiary to all the upside of business ownership. In those days, we were merely employees of a hotel. So, the other housemen and I found enjoyment in other measurable things. One thing that we did which gave us bragging rights was how perfectly we vacuumed the carpet for our guests before their arrival. If you’ve ever stayed at a high-end hotel, one of the first things you’ll notice as you enter the room is how meticulously prepared the carpet is. On many types of carpets a vacuum machine will leave a line as a result of the spinning brush. A well prepared carpet will leave lines that mimic a military formation at a parade – lines that are symmetrical, numerous and orderly.

There are two kinds of carpets inside the AV Library. A type used for high traffic areas covers a large portion of it and a green plush carpet covers the other half. It was there, on the green stuff, that my professional credentials became apparent. The first night, the custodian told me that she liked my work. The second night, she actually called me “Experto” which translates to expert in English. On the first night that her partner returned from vacation, she bench marked our work and divided the vacuuming duties between us. I took the left side of the library and her partner took the right side. When it was all done, the results were plain to see. At some level it was even painful. It was the difference between a college ball player and a professional baller playing at the highest level.

We never achieve perfection. The word is nothing more than an ideal that we strive towards – a direction and a target. But there is something to be said about being engaged in the moment. There is a degree of enjoyment, perhaps even contentment. Those few evenings I was vacuuming at the AV Library got me in touch with my past – a professional skill long forgotten that gave me, surprisingly, delightful moments at a Zen Garden.