The Case Continues ...

|

As is my routine when I have a hearing, I drove down to the bus terminal in Laguna Hills and hopped on the 83 Bus. It’s a straight ride down the world famous 5 Freeway into the bus terminal a stone's throw away from the Santa Ana Court House. In less than 30 minutes I was there - bypassing the congestion by commuting on the car-pool lane. 

I arrived about 7:30AM – more than ample time for last minute preparations for a hearing that was to begin at 8:45AM. I was actually downplaying the hearing on my last entry but at stake was actually having my case dismissed. It didn’t really soak in until I saw those very words on the calendar this morning.

Attorneys are usually asked by the Bailiff to provide their business cards with the name of the case and whom they were representing. Because I am a Pro Per Litigator and without printed business cards, the court provides me with a form that’s a little bigger than a business card where I can write in all that information. This announces to the court clerk who are present for the hearing. The cases are usually called in the order they appear on the court calendar. This morning, I was number 8 on the calendar.

I was quite apprehensive considering the potential outcome of the hearing. I had gone through the many scenarios that could possibly happen in my head and was prepared for the worse. The time passed quickly and all the while I noticed none of the opposing counsel were present. Then, it was my turn – “Number 8 – Lacambra vs. Glass”, Judge Banks called out. I approached the long table in the center and stood on the right side where the sign said “Plaintiff” and introduced myself. “Good Morning, Your Honor, Robert Lacambra – Plaintiff in Pro Per”. “Good morning, Mr. Lacambra”. He quickly looked at his file and noticed that the defendants were not represented. He asked the clerk if they had called in and she answered no. Then, without fanfare, he proceeded with the business at hand.

“You failed to appear on the last CMC, why?”, he asked. “As mentioned on the previous hearing, your honor, I live in my car. That day I was in my car with a flu”, I replied. “You couldn’t call in?”, he asked. I started telling him about my Virgin Phone and was cut off mid-sentence. “If the answer is no, then it’s no”, he said. He then continued the CMC for two week – the 28th. The sanction was denied. I thought I was going to have to pay $750.00. I was already prepared to see if I can arrange a payment plan. Fortunately, I didn’t have to. I dodged another bullet, it seems. But these things are a numbers game. If enough projectiles are sent my way, I’ll more than likely meet one that I can’t avoid. Nevertheless, the score this week stands at 1-0 - two more to go.

Tomorrow should be a fascinating study on how to avoid the ire of a judge. I’ll have the opposition try to explain how it was that they sent all the moving papers to the house I was evicted from. That should be an interesting hearing. I can’t wait.